Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Day

Through the Window: New Year's Sunset

Nearly dusk on the first day of the new year.

The sunny rose this morning, hale and hearty. Skies, azure and bright with intermittent clouds, robust and welcoming. Today's temperature: a comfortable 53.

Now, as the sun dips below the horizon, the wind is picking up. The next two days are forecast to be in the low 30s.

I love the wind when it blows in all its varieties. Tonight's gusts will be strong and vocal. Howling is the word, I think. The house will creak a little, the windows will shake, and outside, the trees will dance and bend, but none will break.

Like the sound of the ocean, the sound of the wind is cathartic to me. Its power is cleansing, purifying. The cobwebs in my head don't stand a chance, when I sit and let the wind blow through me.

I'm going to take the beauty of today coupled with the wind of tonight as a sign that this is going to be a good year.


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 1/08

8 comments:

Wicked H said...

You read the signs well, JM. I agree with your predictions.

Happy New Year and all it brings with it.

Clink!

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Wicked H: I'm glad I'm reading the sign correctly!

Happy New Year to you, too!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Tewksy. Nice post.

Wind scares me. Hmm.

:-)

Cele said...

Tewkes I am with you I love to hear the wind howl, I love the rumble of thunder in the sky so close it vibrates along my skin, I love the sound of the pounding rain in tin or thin roofs, and the ocean crashing on the shore is music to my ears and lulls me to sleep often.

Happy New Year!

Angie K. Millgate said...

I am with you JMT and Cele. Add to that lightening that strikes so close I feel the little hairs on my arm stand up. OOOOh! Yeah!

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Di: Happy New Year to you and Scott, too! (Loved the picture of Eartha the Invincible on your blog, btw.)

Wind can be scary at times. I suppose I should have qualified the kinds of wind I like, but that would have been a long list. Here's the kind of wind I don't like: anything over 35 mph.

Cele: Thunder! Yeah! When I lived in Utah and it would thunder, it always ended at the mountains so it was usually sharp and loud. Out here, because there are no mountains to stop it, it rumbles on and on and on, which is also a really cool sound.

And yes, rain on the roof is a favorite, too!

Of course, I also like the sound when snow falls. It's so quiet...

Abgue:I'm not sure I've experienced that sensation before. When the lightning starts, I usually head in. Apparently I'm missing something by doing that...

Angie K. Millgate said...

Oh, JMT! Now I wouldn't take you as being a chicken. You went inside when the lightening started??? Yes, you definitely missed the best part! :)

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Abgue: I can be relatively fearless, but lightning is one of those things I was taught never to fool around with. I guess it stuck with me. I do like watching it through the window, though.

Maybe the next time we have a bit of lightning here, I'll head over to my friend's place. He has rooftop access in his apartment building and I could get some great shots of the city and the lightning. Hm....