Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A New Kind of Pride

From the Washington Post's Eugene Robinson, A New Kind of Pride.

Those who are standing for Obama, give yourselves a pat on the back. We have been part of the possibility. (And hopefully, after tonight, the reality.)


*****

And continuing with a little round-up. Here is the WP's Richard Cohen, paying tribute to Lyndon Baines Johnson, who signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. That monumental piece of legislation, which made discrimination against people of color illegal, began the transformation in America that has brought to this pivotal point in our nation's electoral history. Here is The Election that LBJ Won.

I suppose we can occasionally be grateful to the Republicans for something. In this case, they've managed to hang themselves with the abolition of the Fairness Doctrine.

Just for fun, forget the pundits. Want to know who's going to win tonight? Follow your coffee cup, your ice cream choice, or whether the Washington Redskins won their football game last night (they didn't.) From Time, here is Election Prognosticators.

Finally, be impressed by these kids. I hope they are a foreshadowing of their older peers who actually can vote.





*****

My thanks to everyone who has endured my political rants and coverage over the last month and a half. Also, thank you to everyone who sent me links to articles and videos. I tried to post all of them here. Assuming Obama-Biden win tonight, my political blogging will decrease significantly. If McCain-Palin win (God forbid!), I may just become the next Wonkette. (Not. But a girl can sort of dream, right? Actually, I don't want to be Wonkette. I like being me.)

In the next few days, I'll probably post an entry querying when did Tinkerbell become a trollop and what does this mean for me and my past history as Tinkerbell in the my first grade school play. At some point, I'll inevitably find myself wide awake at some ungodly hour and I'll blog-a-rant. I'll return to posting about books I've read, movies I've seen, museums I've visited. Photo Friday will return. In other words, things will return to business-as-usual around here.

Thanks for reading everyone! Happy Election Day! And God Bless the United States of America!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say "yay!" on your blog :)

YAY!

McCain's concession speech was pretty graceful, but the crowd was ugly. I think he needs to apologize for all the sh** he said about Obama now.

- Phoebe

Janet Kincaid said...

Phoebe: And yeah for Colorado going for Obama! You must be so proud of your fellow Coloradoans!