Sunday, November 4, 2007

Saving Daylight

It's that time of year again. Daylight Time. The only upshot this year: it's later in the season than normal, which I think is nice.

But seriously, why do we continue to engage in this exercise of turning the clock back in the fall, then forward in the spring, particularly when we're neither at war (contrary to popular belief held by only the most ardent of Republicans) nor are we an agrarian society any longer (contrary to farm subsidies.)

And why we are told to set our clocks back at ungodly hours like 2:00 a.m.? I mean, does anyone actually sit up and wait for this?

Maude: Haroldddddd. Come to bed. I'm collllllld.

Harold: Hush. I'll be there shortly. It's only 1:37 a.m. Can't set all the clocks back until 2; you know that.

Seriously? No? No one? Hm. I didn't think so. I know I certainly don't. In fact, despite my disdain for the semi-annual exercise, I actually set my clocks back on Friday night when I get home from work. That way, I have all weekend to acclimate to the time change and I'm one less zombie stumbling into work all discombobulated and cranky on Monday morning.

For example, when I started writing this bit, it was 4:49 on my computer, but the clocks in my house all say 3:49, and I'm sticking to that! I know it's stupid, but this whole "fall back, spring forward" thing is even stupider.

I say we abolish Daylight Saving Time. And while we're at it, let's get rid of the IRS, George Bush, and anti-marriage initiatives, 'cause those are all stupid, too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Tewkesy's semi-annual daylight saving rant. It wouldn't be a proper change of seasons without it. :-)

Cele said...

I think the transaction between Maude and Harold would have been something like this...

Maude: "Come on Harold we've dancing to day, sitting to watch a clock waste precious time and there is dancing to do."

Harold" "I love you Maude you're so logical, life loving, and not crazy."

Maude: "Put some Cat Stevens on and let's have fun."

Ha ha ha, I need to get that movie on DVD. Daylight Saving Time doesn't, it's ridiculous, and their new time changes waste more engery than saves.

You list needs to include, Cheney, warmongers, and nuclear power.

Sideon said...

I screw up the saying every daylight savings: Fall Forward, Spring Back!

I've been known to miss family parties by two hours. :) Not that that's a bad thing by any means!

Elaine Denning said...

Next year, I must remmeber to look at a TV guide and see what happens at 2am. What does it say? Any idea?

Heather said...

I once heard that Henry Ford wanted all of his plants on the East Coast to be on the same time as those in Michigan, and because he had so much clout... it happened?

I don't know - could be an urban legend kind of thing.

NG said...

Or you could move to Arizona, where they don't want an extra hour of daylight.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Di: I know. It would be Daylight Time/Daylight Saving Time without my rant.

Cele: I think I like you dialogue for Harold and Maude much better! And, believe it or not, I still haven't seen that movie in its entirety. Must remedy that. Soon.

Sideon: Damn! That's what I should have done yesterday.

Ms. U: Excellent question. I haven't a clue. I wonder if the online version is still available...??

Heather: Welcome! I think I like your story about Henry Ford best. It ranks right up there with the story about William Randolph Hearst's power to start wars. "You bring me the pictures," he said, "and I'll get you the war." Perhaps Ford was the one to sway the move toward DT/DST. Hm. Must make a point of looking up the origin of this insanity.

NG: Or Hawaii or Indiana. I'm thinking Hawaii looks good....

Anonymous said...

I HATE daylight savings time, and am glad to have lived most of my life in Arizona, which does not observe it.