Sunday, December 9, 2007

Rhetorical

It being Christmas and all, I keep seeing commercials for "that perfect gift for that special someone in your life this holiday season..." blah, blah, blah. The ones that make me hurl a little bit are the ones for Zales.

Have you seen these commercials? They're horrible. I mean, seriously. Could they be any more patronizing? Honestly! Are we that easily bought? Is this what women really want? If it is, I'll go away. But before I do, someone please explain to me how sparkles and baubles make a woman feel fulfilled? What am I missing here?

Personally, if someone gave me one of these, I'd be totally over the moon!



Photo copyrights: Zales and Apple, respectively.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those diamond commercials make me angry. I'm with you. Not only do they reduce women to shallow, mindless shrews, but the whole industry is based on cruelty. Underpaid miners and corrupt governments are what I think of when I see diamonds.

I'll go away now.

(Were we separated at birth, or what? Oh wait -- I forgot. Cats :) )

Cele said...

Diamond commercials inferiorate me. I had a good laugh the other day when I heard a radio commercials (on my station) saying in a soothing female voice...

"Don't you want put a gift that sparkles and shines in to the hand of the one you love?" Voice changes to raw power..."Then give him or her a 15 amp radial saw."

I loved it. Not that I want a power saw, it was such a delightful turn on that standard pull in. Do not give me a diamond, for my birthday, for Christmas, or our anniversary - give me what you think YOU want to give me and nothing more.

Oh and ps, I don't like diamonds.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Ph: Cats are why we were separated at birth! ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm glad I'm not alone in my perceptions. For a while there I was afraid I'd be the lone voice in the wilderness. Glad to know we're on the same page!

Cele: I love it! Now, a power tool I can go for. Besides, if the gift of sentiment is what one wants to give, surely there are better gifts to be given.

By the way: I love your new word--"inferiorate". Excellent! Nice combination of inferior and infuriate! That captures the whole diamond thing so beautifully!

Gunfighter said...

The guy in that Zale's commercial should be punched in the face, just for wearing that scarf.

Diamonds are overrated... just don't tell my pal Ronnie Mervis that I said that.