Sunday, December 2, 2007

Twelve

Anyone who knows me, knows two things about me.

First, I love Christmas music. Love it! Love it in July, as much as I love it in December.

Second, and more importantly, among Christmas songs, I hate The Twelve Days of Christmas. So not worth the notes in which it's written.

The exception is a 1994 version by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on their album This is Christmas. I absolutely adore this version and it's the only one to which I'll listen.

It's fabulous because each verse is done in a different musical genre. One verse is baroque, the next is a Viennese waltz, then it's Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries, and then it's a John Philip Sousa march. The result is a song that is actually fun to listen to, rather than complete and utter repetitive torture. If you can get your hands on this version, add it to your collection. If you want a copy, let me know and I'll burn a disc for you.

I'd love to post a link to a clip from iTunes or simply post my own clip, but I'm sadly lacking in the blogging skill set needed to do that. (If someone out there--NG??--knows how to do this and can show me, I'd be grateful!)

6 comments:

Cele said...

You might try Bob Rivers' "The Twelve Pains of Christmas" a holiday must for me.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Cele: Excellent! Awful, but awfully funny. Thank you!

Mary Ellen said...

Would love to hear that romp through the genres version of 12 Days!

One of my cheesy holiday favorites is "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas," a novelty song from the 50s that I first heard on Dr. Demento and eventually made it into some mainstream Christmas radio in L.A. Sadly, I haven't been able to get sheet music for it, otherwise I'd entertain you all singing it. :)

NG said...

Well... challenge accepted. Check your email for some instructions on embedding audio files in a blog that worked more or less for me. I don't have that CD, so I'm curious to hear the track!

hm-uk said...

My favourite version of 12 Days of Christmas is the Muppets' one - classic tuneage, that.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Got NG's notes on how to do this and will attempt to have something up before the weekend. Thanks, NG!

HM: I'll check out the Muppets version. Anything is better than the stereotypical droning of this song in the same notes over and over and over.