Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!
Thirteen Reasons Why I Like My Job and Where I'm Living Right Now
1. Because the alternative is a bad option.
2. Because it puts me in contact with people every day and that's always a good thing.
3. Because I'm working on a topic that is interesting and constantly changing.
4. Because I'm working with really good people from all over the world. It amazes me that such a large group of people, whose first language often isn't English, are able to come together and get stuff done despite the differences in language and culture and ethnicity. It is, frankly, exhilarating.
5. Because going to the farmer's market on a Saturday is just a hop, skip, and a jump from our apartment.
6. Because French butter with large grains of sea salt and Savoyard pain au levain naturel bread is yummiliscious!
7. Because seeing the old world as a citizen of the new world gives me better perspective on the benefits and detractors of both.
8. Because I get to see buffalo every morning on my drive into work!
9. Because I'm living near friends I like (hi Mr. and Ms. Swizzies and Dr. Lala!) and am making new friends (hi JJ, TD, PA, HM, DN, FM, and CA!) and I'm living with someone I love.
10. Because every few weeks I can go shopping at the most fabulous grocery store in all of Europe. (The website doesn't look like much, but trust me when I tell you Hieber's Frischmarkt is HEAVEN!)
11. Because I've had the opportunity to visit the Alsace-Lorraine, fall in love with Paris, spend time relaxing in Provence, go to the Alpage in Annecy, enjoy the beauty of Basel, take in the alpine beauty in Interlaken, wander around Geneva and Lausanne, and finally make it to Italy ('cause the last time I lived in Europe, I lived right across the street from Italy and we weren't allowed to cross the border.) I hope to see more of this great continent in the weeks and months ahead.
12. Because what's not to love about fondue and raclette? Mmmmm. Cheesy goodness.
13. Because I'm living across the street from Switzerland!
And, as it's Friday, here's a photo. Happy (Photo) Friday, too, folks! Bon weekend!
Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 10/09