Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thankful. Or, Why I Miss My Grandpa On This Particular Day Every Year.

Today is Armistice Day in France. In the U.S., it's Veteran's Day. For the French, this day commemorates the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 when hostilities between Germany and France ceased and ended World War I. For Americans, it's a day to honor our men and women in uniform who have served their country with honor and dignity.

Up until three years ago, I would call my grandfather on Veteran's Day and thank him for his service to our country as a solider in Patton's Army during World War II. Now that I'm living in Europe and seeing some of the places he spent time in and then later revisited with my grandmother in the 1970s, I have a renewed appreciation for his service and sacrifice. He, along with those of his band of brothers, fought and died not just for our nation, but for the peoples of Europe.

To all those who have worn the uniform of the United States Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine, past and present, thank you.

And thanks Mugwump. I miss you.

No comments: