Sunday, December 30, 2007

Best of 2007? Perhaps... Not...

I snagged this from a friend. Unoriginal, I know, but I wanted to see what would turn up if I did this one. The rules are pretty basic. Take the first line of the first post from every month in 2007 and play the game.

Since I started this blog in August, I'm going to go back and pull material from my previous blog to cover the first half of the year. Here goes...

January
I have stacks of books sitting in my office, on my nightstands, and in my bookcase that I am bound and determined--i.e. resolute--to read this year.

February
Note: I had two first entries this month on the same day.

I'm still trying to figure out what day of the week should be In the BIN Day.

Today's edition of People Watch is brought to you by the Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority, the letter S, and the number 6.

March
Every evening, as I walk out of the office building in which I work and into the bowels of the nearest Metro Station, I pass a man sitting on a bench.

April
I've started commuting to work via car.

May
Lame.

June
If you didn't read my original post on bullying, go here.

July
That's what I paid the HVAC guy to come out and service the air conditioner, because I thought that was the source of the smell in my house.

August
Another postcard arrived today.

Then in mid-August, I started a new blog. This blog, in fact. And here's the first entry.

Welcome to my new blog!

September
The first post in September featured two entries, too.

This postcard comes to the Chronicles of Tewkesbury by way of Cele, who wisely lives on the Oregon Coast.

This postcard arrived about a week ago from someone who had been to Utah for an event hosted by Orrin Hatch, Utah's senior U.S. senator.

October
It's fall, which means the humidity has disappeared, the temperatures are comfortable, and I like to open the windows and let in the fresh air.

November
I took a walk in the rain one day on the wrong side of the tracks...

December
Do not run out and buy this Christmas album.


Hm. Not sure what to make of all this. I think I'm going to have to try a little harder in 2008 to write material at the first of the month that is far deeper and wittier and pithier than what I drummed out this year.

3 comments:

Angie K. Millgate said...

JMT...

I don't know if I was "supposed to" but I laughed pretty hard at the March/April/May segue. Haha

Sounds like it was an eventful year!

xoxo
Abgue :)

LG said...

I liked the connection between March/April/May, too. Coincidence? Perhaps.

I like this exercise ... I'm going to try it out as well!

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Abgue: Yes, it's okay to laugh at the March/April/May series. As the writer, I failed to notice the beauty of that sequence until you pointed it out. I laughed pretty hard, too, when I re-read it!

LG: Total coincidence. I'm headed over to your blog now to check out your Best of...